Followers

Friday, August 12, 2016

GULAI AYAM [MALAY STYLE CURRY CHICKEN]

It has been quite awhile that I have not cooked curry chicken at home. Do miss it whenever I saw curry chicken sold at the food stall. I love my curry spicy hot and aromatic and I am quite particular with the chicken which I used to cook. I prefer those sold at the wet market as I find them sweet, juicy and firm after cooking.
This Malay style curry is spicy hot and aromatic with the addition of turmeric leaf and kaffir lime leaves. Quite an easy curry to prepare though yet the taste is awesome. I love the small bits of shallots, ginger and garlic in it. I cooked it with more sauce as I intend to serve it with pasta [Angel Hair]. The thick curry sauce coats the pasta nicely and makes it just perfect, tasty.
Recipe adapted from Yum Yum Magazine Issue No. 72 [my selected cookbook for August Cookbook Countdown Event#8] - slightly modified
Spice Ingredients [blended]
5-6 red chillies
5 chilli padi
6 shallots – peeled
4 pips garlic - peeled
4 cm piece ginger
3 cm turmeric [I used 1 tsp turmeric powder]
3 chicken whole legs – cut bite size pieces\
1-2 stalks lemongrass – crushed
3 small slices galangal
1 piece turmeric leaf – tear into pieces
3-4 kaffir lime leaf
1 cm piece cinnamon stick
3 tbsp oil
Seasoning
250 ml water
100 ml thick coconut milk
1 ½ tsp salt
1 tsp sugar to taste

  1. Heat oil, sauté lemongrass and blended spices until fragrant. Add in chicken and continue to stir until chicken is firm and turned white.
  2. Add in water, bring to boil and add in galangal and cinnamon stick.
  3. Add in seasoning and bring to boil, lower heat to simmer for 10-15 minutes or until chicken is cooked.
  4. Add in coconut milk and cook for another 5 minutes. Lastly stir in turmeric leaf and kaffir lime leaf. Taste to adjust seasoning.
  5. Dish up and serve with rice.

4 comments:

jen said...

i cook similar curry and i also add in potatoes.. it is to die for! do try.

Kimmy said...

Hi Jen, that's a good idea. I believe we can add other ingredients of our choice like tempe, too.

kitchen flavours said...

Hi Kimmy,
Looks so delicious! Must be very fragrant! Curry chicken is a favourite in my house. Must cook more rice if curry chicken is the dish of the day!

Kimmy said...

Hi Joyce, this curry can be spicier with addition of more small chillies. Boleh tahan, we had an enjoyable meal of rice with the curry. Hmmmmm......