Followers

Wednesday, May 18, 2016

STEAMED PANDAN SWIRL MANTOU

Today, I tried making these plain swirl baos/mantous with pandan juice and coconut milk powder.  The procedure is easy and quick with this small portion.  I seldom make small portion, so this time it is fast and I need not use my bamboo steamed for steaming.   The outcome is satisfactory  and I am happy about it.
This plain mantou is soft, moist, chewy and the sweetness is just nice for me.  Remain soft even on the next day.  Love the texture of this mantou.
Ingredients
[makes 9 mantou]
200 gm pau flour
2 tbsp coconut milk powder
40 gm sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp instant yeast
100-110 ml pandan juice#
1/2 tbsp shortening
1/4 tsp pandan paste [optional]
#[blend 3 or more blades pandan leaves with water, strain to extract juice]
  1. Knead all ingredients together [except shortening] into a rough dough.  Add in shortening and continue to knead until soft, smooth and pliable.
  2. Shape into round, cover to rest for 20 minutes or double in size.  Punch down and divide into 9 equal portions.
  3. Shape each portion into a slender, elongated shape.  Flatten dough, fold into half lengthwise and roll up like a Swiss roll.
  4. Invert and place on paper cases.  Leave to proof for 30 minutes.
  5. Steam over high heat for 10-12 minutes.  Off heat, leave mantou in steam for awhile before removing.

2 comments:

PH said...

Kimmy, I love mantou. They are so soft and fluffy. I love those served with braised pork belly at the restaurant. These pandan ones are yummy too.

Kimmy said...

Hi Phong Hong, plain mantous are not popular in the house, so I have to shape them somehow to make them attractive. These mantous are good, soft, moist and chewy. Nice natural aroma of pandan. Me too love the braised pork belly paus aka 'nam yee pau'. I made them long ago when I came back from holiday in Taiwan. This kind of paus are easily available all over Taiwan.