Followers

Wednesday, May 27, 2015

TAU EU BAK [NYONYA VERSION SOY SAUCE PORK BELLY]

This version of Tau Eu Bak [Nyonya version] is so easy and simple that I didn't believe it could be a tasty dish.  If you noticed in this recipe, no light soy sauce is used.
Anyway, I gave it a try cooking only half portion of the original recipe.  My honest opinion is, I didn't regret giving it a try.  No doubt simple ingredients and easy preparation, the Tau Eu Bak is good and tasted even much better the next day.
It is so different from my family version [see recipe] which is more complicated.
Verdict - fragrant and tasty soy sauce pork belly.  Good with rice and porridge.  The sauce is more watery than my family version.  This dish is best eaten the next day when the flavours developed.
Recipe Source - adapted from Nyonya Flavours [modified]
Ingredients
500 gm pork belly - cut into 3 cm thick chunks
1 tbsp cornflour
1 tbsp salt
100 gm [10 cloves] garlic with skin [I used smoked garlic]
Gravy Ingredients
2-3 cups water
1 1/2 tbsp dark soy sauce
1/4- 1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar [optional]
10 peppercorns [crushed]
  1. Clean the pork by rubbing it with the cornflour and salt.  Rinse with water until there is no more traces of cornflour.  Blanch the pork in boiling water then rinse with water to remove any odour from the pork.  Set aside.
  2. Put gravy ingredients in a pot and bring to boil.  Add in the pork belly and simmer for several 10-15 minutes.  Then add in the garlic cloves.
  3. Cover and continue to simmer over low heat for 30-40 minutes or until meat is tender.
  4. Serve with rice and sambal belacan.
I submitting this post to Cook Your Books Event #23 [May 2015] hosted by Joyce of Kitchen Flavours
 photo 77951578-1914-4b72-8eda-9e40a91183ac_zps331eb4b4.jpg

4 comments:

kitchen flavours said...

Tau eu bak is one of my favourites! Looks delicious! I love eating it with chilli padi and see yau as a condiment. Thanks for linking with CYB!

PH said...

KImmy, this tau eu bak is my all time favorite! Interesting that it uses dark soya sauce and no light soya sauce. I must try it one day because I usually end up with dark soya sauce taking ages to finish as I hardly use it.

Kimmy said...

Hi Joyce, this is one of the simplest way to cook a good Tau Eu Bak. Reduce the water if you prefer less gravy. It should be good.

Kimmy said...

Hi Phong Hong, Initially I thought there must be a typo error with the ingredients but I went ahead and follow it to the T. Nothing wrong with the ingredients, it turns out good. Maybe you can try using the slow cooker to cook this with less water. Some dark soy sauce changes colour after some time but this particular brand that I used stays good for a long time. E-mail me if you like to know which brand.