Followers

Thursday, March 26, 2015

Kuih Sago


A kuih made of  sago, commonly seen in kuih shops, Malay snack stalls or gatherings that nevertheless delicious.  The soft, chewy texture, sweet and a little savoury taste as you bite at it, makes you reach for another piece.
This sago kuih can be in any colours or combination of colours but I think the most crucial ingredient is the grated white coconut that makes it tempting.
I have seen many recipes on this kuih and finally found one at Peng's Kitchen which basically is very easy yet the outcome is good.  However, I modified slightly to make it even easier.
Recipe Source - Peng's Kitchen [modified]
Ingredients
300 gm sago
200 gm sugar [I used 180 gm]
600 ml water 
2 tbsp pandan juice [can omit and replace with a drop of green colouring]
1 tsp pandan paste [can omit if you use pandan water]*
1 tsp strawberry paste [can omit and replace with a drop of  pink colouring]
100 gm grated coconut + 100 gm for coating
50 gm gula melaka - chopped 
1/4 tsp salt 
* boil several blades of pandan leaves with the water and use it to cook the sago

  1. Grease a 7" square pan and lined with plastic sheet. Grease lightly again. Set aside. I used the steaming tray of my electric steamer.
  2. Boil sugar and water in a medium pot or non-stick pan. Add in sago can cook till semi-transparent, stirring frequently. Note - theliquid will all be absorbed by the sago and the mixture will be thick.
  3. Scoop 2- 4 tbsp of the cooked sago and mix with the grated coconut, salt and gula melaka.  Set aside.
  4. Divide the remaining into 2 portions. 
  5. Mix one portion with strawberry paste [or pink colouring] and the other portion with pandan juice/pandan paste or green colouring.
  6. Pour the pink mixture into the pan and steam for 15 minutes or until clear. 
  7. Spread the gula melaka mixture over steamed sago, then top up with the green sago mixture over and continue to steam for another 25 minutes or until sago is clear
  8. Cool completely before unmoulding. 
  9. Smear a knife with oil [to prevent sticking] and cut kuih into slices. Coat with extra grated coconut and serve.

I'm submitting this post to Best Recipes for Everyone March 2015 Event Theme: My Favourite Kuih 
by Fion of Xuanhommama
and co-host by Joceline of Butter, Flour and Me

7 comments:

PH said...

Kimmy, this is a colourful and fun to eat kuih. I guess it is nice and chewy and the grated coconut enhances the experience even further. Ho chiak!

Joceline Lor said...

This kuih very nice with coconut aroma.

Thanks for your link & share.

Good Day!

Kimmy said...

Hi Phong Hong, this is my favourite kuih and I have been trying to find a really good recipe. This one turns out well and I shall try other flavours too. Quite addictive that I had to 'control' myself.

Kimmy said...

Hi Joceline, nice kuih for afternoon snack. Taste good too even when chilled. Was glad my family loves it too.

lclim said...

So colourful n looks yummy

Kimmy said...

Hi LcLim, this kuih must be good that it is a common kuih of the Chinese and Malays too. Delicious with the grated coconut.

Fion said...

Hi Kimmy,these sago kueh is my chidlhood favourite snack,I bought a pack of sago too for this kuih,hopefully still have time to make some..