Followers

Tuesday, December 16, 2014

White Coffee Wholemeal Loaf

I have several sachets of instant Ipoh White Coffee lying in the cupboard and no one is drinking it.  Instead of wasting, I use it to make this coffee wholemeal loaf.  Take note, all flours must be sifted even though it is not written in the recipes.
Verdict - The wholemeal flour and bread flour ratio is 1:1 but the bread is soft and moist.  Strong aroma of coffee with just a sachet. Must be a healthy bread for the family to enjoy.  Serve with a slice of cheddar cheese, hmmm......so good.
Recipe Source - Amy Beh [with modifications]
Ingredients
[makes 4 big bun shape bread in a 7 inch square tin]
175 gm wholemeal flour
175 gm bread flour
50 gm plain flour
10 gm milk powder [I used 2 tbsp]
50 gm soft brown sugar
1/2 tsp salt
3 tsp instant yeast
1 egg
1 sachet instant white coffee-mix dissolve in 250 ml hot water - allow to cool
20 gm raisins - rinsed
50 gm butter
  1. To prepare the dough - Place sifted flours, milk powder, sugar, salt and yeast into the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a dough hook.  Mix for 30 second on lowest speed.
  2. Add in egg and gradually add in the coffee mixture.  Continue to mix on medium low heat into a soft dough for about 5-10 minutes.
  3. Add in butter and knead on medium speed until dough is soft and elastic. Add in raisins and knead to combine.
  4. Shape into a dough and cover with a damp cloth to rest for about 30 minutes or until dough in size.
  5. Punch down dough and divide into 4 equal portions.  Shape into  round balls and place in a baking tin, lined with parchment paper.
  6. Leave in oven to proof for 1 hour or double in size.  Remove from oven.  Preheat oven at 180 degrees C for 10 minutes.
  7. Place dough in oven to bake for 25 minutes  or until brown.
  8. Remove from oven and cool on wire rack.

I'm submitting this post to Cook Your Books Event #19 hosted by Joyce of Kitchen Flavours
Cook-Your-Books

6 comments:

PH said...

Kimmy, I love the smell of coffee bread. It never fails to make my tummy rumble hee..hee..

Kimmy said...

Hi Phong Hong, coffee bread/buns with raisins or nuts are good. These days, we are eating more of this bread with cheddar cheese slices. Wow! even better.

Marjie said...

I have never had white coffee, but I do love a nice coffee bread or sweet. Your 4 mini loaves in the one pan looked very pretty!

Kimmy said...

Hello Marjie, thanks for dropping by my humble blog. One sachet of our instant white coffee is too much for me. This is one good way of using it. Agree with you the bread is nice with a slice of cheese. 1 mini loaf is enough for my hubby and my breakfast, hehehe!

kitchen flavours said...

Hi Kimmy,
I can just imagine the aroma of your lovely bread. I love coffee! A slice would be delicious with a generous spread of salted butter!
Thanks for linking with CYB!

Kimmy said...

Hi Joyce, yes with butter and cheese, wah haha! it's nice. My hubby prepared that for me these days, cos' I'm cutting down on sweet food now. My gums still hurts after consuming too much sweet desserts and ice in Thailand.