Followers

Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Pumpkin Bread Loaves


Told myself not to buy anymore pumpkins after the LTU 'Pumpkin' Event but there are really so many wonderful recipes to try.  When I saw Tesco selling pumpkins at RM 0.99 per kilogram, I just couldn't resist buying one.
I tried the recipe 'Pumpkin with Curry Leaves' shared by Phong Hong and now this bread recipe is from Jess of Bakericious.  Hers has more 'liao' in it but my is a no-frills version.  Thanks to Jess for highlighting that the dough is too wet and sticky, so I was very careful when adding the liquid while kneading.  My dough isn't sticky at all.  I think this depends on the pumpkin puree used.
Verdict - this bread is soft and moist. Tasted good and soft even on the 4th day. I added some wholemeal flour to it as self consolation that it is healthier, hehehe!.  Good bread.
Recipe Source - from Jessie Cooking Moments and Helena's Kitchen seen in Bakericious [modified]
Ingredients
[9 inch square tin lined with parchment paper]
500 gm bread flour [substitute 50 gm bread flour with wholemeal flour]
2 tbsp milk powder
80 gm castor sugar [I used 50 gm]
1 tsp salt 
100 gm mashed pumpkin
2 tsp instant yeast or 6 gm
1 egg 
190 ml milk [depends on pumpkin puree] 
40 gm butter 
Other Ingredients - I omit
100 gm raisins
Topping - brush egg glaze then sprinkle ingredients on top [I omit]
Coarse sugar [I omit]
Cheddar cheese
Pumpkin seeds


  1. Place all main ingredients in an electric mixer with a dough hook, except milk and butter in a big mixing bowl. With low speed then gradually add in the milk.  Once the dough comes together, don't add anymore liquid.
  2. Knead until soft and smooth. Add butter and knead until the dough has become elastic and it can be stretched out to a transparent sheet like bubble gum.
  3. Add raisins and mix [I omit].
  4. Shape dough into a ball and cover to proof for 20-30 minutes or until double in size.
  5. Punch down dough to remove air bubbles.
  6. Divide dough into 4 equal portions.  Rest for 10 minutes.
  7. Shape the dough into a Swiss roll logs and place in the prepared baking pan.  Repeat for the rest of the dough.
  8. Leave dough in the oven to proof for 1 hour or until double in size.
  9. Brush some egg wash on top, follow by sprinkle of sesame seeds [I omit this step].  Remove dough from over and preheat oven for 10 minutes at 175 degrees C.
  10. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden

6 comments:

Karen Luvswesavory said...

Hi Kimmy, seeing the sandwich made me drool .... must be very delicious. Who can resist these yummy-licious Pumpkin Bread Loaves ? 1 set of sandwich please ...hee hee !

PH said...

Kimmy, I have taken a break from pumpkins for now :) Your pumpkin bread loaves make me think of buying pumpkins again. And thanks for the mention :)

Kimmy said...

Hi Karen, I baked the bread, my hubby does the sandwich with the cheddar cheese slices and smoked ham he bought. It's really good, sweet, sweet and savoury. Will ask him to make a set for you.

Kimmy said...

Hi Phong Hong, it was so cheap I couldn't resist the temptation to buy. I used it to make steamed pumpkin baos. Haven't had the time to draft the post yet. They are good too.

Ivy Sew said...

Hi Kimmy, this pumpkin bread is so beautiful. The yellow color itself is already so tempting and besides, I love pumpkin too!!! Will give this recipe of yours a try one day. Thanks for sharing and regards :)

Kimmy said...

Hi Ivy, these days you can bake and steam with ingredients of various colours and artificial colourings are not necessary. This bread stays good for several days.