Followers

Friday, September 5, 2014

Braised Pork Belly With Salted Soya Beans

 
Very aromatic braised pork belly with preserved soya bean paste.  The recipe uses Knife brand bean paste [not promoting this brand but it's really good].  After braising, you can still see the whole beans intact.  I like to pick on these whichare very sweet and flavourful.    This is a simple and easy dish to cook yet tasty.  
Verdict - sweet and tender pork belly and tasty black fungus that has soaked up the flavours of the taucheong and seasoning.  Good with steaming hot rice or porridge.
Recipe Source - Yum Yum Magazine No.69 [I cooked half the portion of the recipe]
Ingredients
[serves 4-5]
500 gm pork belly 
10 gm black fungus - soaked and cut into pieces
1 tbsp each of chopped garlic and young ginger
3 tbsp salted soy bean [whole beans]
1-2 tbsp cooking oil
Seasoning
1 tbsp each of oyster sauce
1 tsp dark soy sauce
1/4 tsp salt
some sugar to taste
  1. Clean pork belly and blanch in boiling water for 5-10 minutes.  Remove the pork and rinse with tap water, then cut into pieces.  Reserve the stock if you like.
  2. Heat oil in wok, saute chopped garlic and ginger until aromatic.  Add in the pork belly.  Stir fry to mix well and leave to fry for several minutes.
  3. Add in the seasoning, black fungus and soy bean paste, stir fry to mix, then add in the stock or water.
  4. Bring to boil, then reduce heat to simmer until pork is tender and gravy reduced [about 20 minutes]. 
  5. Dish up to serve.
    I'm submitting this post to Cook Your Books Event #16 hosted by Joyce of Kitchen Flavours
     photo 77951578-1914-4b72-8eda-9e40a91183ac_zps331eb4b4.jpg
       

10 comments:

PH said...

Kimmy, this pork belly dish is very tasty! In fact I love any kind of dishes which use taucheow. I have seen this Knife brand taucheow but somehow I never bought it. Since you recommend, I will buy a bottle to try.

kitchen flavours said...

Hi Kimmy,
This looks delicious. I love pork belly! And taucheong! with some chilli padi and see yau, can eat 2 plates of rice! :)

Baking Taitai said...

I am not a great fan of pork belly but my hubby is and he will surely love this dish!

Sokehah cheah said...

Thanks for sharing this recipe. Never thought of this combination :)

Kimmy said...

Hi Phong Hong, this dish tasted excellent especially after resting and reheated before serving.

Kimmy said...

Hi Joyce, that's good idea to serve with chilli padi, yum yum.

Kimmy said...

Hi Cheryl, I love pork belly but afraid of high cholesterol. Recently, I got to know that Mulberry tea helps to reduce cholesterol, so I started enjoying it now.

Kimmy said...

Hi Cheryl, I love pork belly but afraid of high cholesterol. Recently, I got to know that Mulberry tea helps to reduce cholesterol, so I started enjoying it now.

Kimmy said...

Hi Soke Hah, the black fungus is tasty after braising with the other ingredients and I supposed it also cuts down the fats.

kitchen flavours said...

Hi Kimmy,
Thanks for linking your delicious dish with CYB!