Followers

Thursday, August 14, 2014

Wheat Free Sponge Cupcakes

 
Another sponge cake recipe that I have kept for a long time after seeing Happy Flour post.  Recently I came across the similar recipe of Ann [Anncoo Journal] which prompted me to bake these.  Li Ying baked the sponge cake in cupcake liners while Ann used an 8 inch round baking tin.
Since I don't have an 8 inch pan, I followed Li Ying using cupcake liners and I managed to get 20 cupcakes.  As sponge cakes can be quite bland, so for some of the cakes, I used crumble topping and some I used meat floss as filling and topping.

Verdict - soft, fluffy and not too sweet.
Ingredients
[makes 20 cupcakes]
3 large eggs 
2 tsp vanilla essence
85 gm caster sugar
110 gm corn flour - sifted twice
  1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees C.   Line muffin tray with paper liners.  If using baking tin - grease with butter the sides a 20 cm/8 inch round cake pan and line base with baking paper. 
  2. Beat eggs with 2 tsp vanilla extract at medium high speed for about 10 minutes or until thick and creamy. Gradually add sugar, beating until dissolved between additions at medium speed. 
  3. Sieve in the corn flour little by little for the third time and fold well in with a rubber spatula. 
  4. If using baking tin - pour mixture into pan and spread evenly, bake for about 20 minutes or skewer inserted into the cake comes out clean. 
  5. If using cupcake liners - scoop batter into liners until 90% full, sprinkle crumble topping or scoop a little batter into liners, fill in meat floss and top up with some batter until 90% full.
  6. Bake in preheated oven on middle rack for 20 minutes.
  7. Turn sponge cake onto a wire rack to cool. 

    Wheat Free Sponge Cake with Crumble Toppings

    Wheat Free Sponge Cupcakes with Meat Floss Filling
    This post is linked to the event, Little Thumbs Up organised by Bake for Happy Kids and My Little Favourite DIY, and hosted by Diana from the Domestic Goddess Wannabe
    Photobucket

7 comments:

PH said...

Kimmy, sponge cakes are so light and airy which means that I tend to eat many of them. hah..hah....

mui mui said...

Hi Kimmy,
Your are brilliant to add crumble topping and meat floss to your simple yet delicious sponge cuppies to spice it up.
Since you have 20 cuppies, can pass me 2 please..lol

mui

Kimmy said...

Hi Phong Hong, you are right. They are so light and you need to add something else, maybe cream and fresh fruits, hehehe!

Kimmy said...

Hi Mui Mui, I knew this is going to be light and simple. Afraid that the people won't go for it, I added the crumble topping and meat floss. Value added cake, hahaha!

ann low said...

Hi Kimmy, You're so clever! I'm sure with some crumble and meat floss added make the cake more delicious!

Kimmy said...

Hi Ann, I must thank you and Li Ying for sharing this lovely cupcake recipe.

DomesticGoddessWannabe said...

Hi Kimmy these look delicious! :P~~