Followers

Monday, January 13, 2014

My Family Cocoa Butter Cookies [CNY 2014]

This is a chocolate flavour butter cookie similar to my earlier posting on MY Family Butter Cookies.    It's crispy, buttery and very fragrant.  I have been using this recipe for well over 20 years and always a favourite of many visiting relatives during Chinese New Year.
 Ingredients
[makes 120 pieces]
250 gm butter [I used Golden Churn brand]
110 icing sugar
1 small egg
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
1/4 tsp salt
270 gm plain flour - sifted together with cocoa powder
30 gm cocoa powder [I used Van Houten cocoa powder]
4-5 red cherries - diced
  1. Cream butter and icing sugar until light.  Add egg, vanilla essence and salt.  Continue beating until creamy and fluffy.
  2. Stir in sifted flour and mix until well combined.
  3. Remove a portion of the mixture into a piping bag with a star nozzle fitted to it.
  4. Pipe star rosettes onto baking trays lined with parchment paper.
  5. Place a piece of diced red cherries on each rosette.
  6. Bake in preheated oven at 180 degrees C for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
  7. Remove to cool on wire rack before storing in airtight container.
I'm submitting this post to the Bake Along event hosted by Zoe of Bake for Happy Kids,
 photo logo121.jpg

13 comments:

Victoria Bakes said...

you really have plentiful of wonderful cookies! u r my "go-to" blog for cookies and ogura cakes Kimmy

Kimmy said...

Thanks Victoria, but I'm making the minimum this year.

Amy Baking Diary said...

Nice!!

Jozelyn Ng said...

Nice! I want to try this too!

kitchen flavours said...

Hi Kimmy,
Cocoa cookies are always a hit, and this looks wonderful!
Thanks for linking with Bake-Along!

Baby Sumo said...

Looks good - I'm planning to make butter cookies with my kids this weekend!

Zoe said...

Hi Kimmy,

From all your baking, I can tell that you have been baking a lot for many years of CNY!

These chocolate butter cookies looks very delicious too!

Zoe

Kimmy said...

Thanks Amy, Jozelyn, Joyce and Zoe.
Happy baking Baby Sumo.

Unknown said...

I love how the way your recipe goes to and it looks so delicious. Can't wait to try them. God Bless! private chef in austin texas

lena said...

the rosettes cookies look very lovely. i find it a little uncommon compared to the usual butter cookies, thx for posting this up. HOpe this will benefit our readers too, thx!

Kimmy said...

Hi Lena, these cookies are crispy and tasty. Worth trying.

PH said...

Wah, Kimmy, you have been using this recipe for 20 years! That means this recipe is very much tried and tested and I will not hesitate to try it :)

Kimmy said...

Hi Phong Hong, my expectation of CNY cookies are very high and very particular with the taste, texture and looks. This is my favourite so far.