Followers

Tuesday, October 1, 2013

ORANGE COTTONY CAKE I [OGURA CAKE]

I have been baking cottony cakes of various flavours including this one but I didn't realise that I have not posted the recipe.
This cake was baked for my neighbour.  I only get to try the cake when I trimmed off the edges.  The cake rose beautifully but somehow did shrink a little.  Very fragrant, tangy taste, soft and spongy cake.
Ingredients for Egg Yolk Mixture
[use 9" square tin]
75 gm superfine flour - sifted
1/4 tsp salt
5 egg yolks
1 whole egg
60 ml corn oil 
80 ml  orange juice [from 1-2 oranges]
zest of 1 orange
  1. Place the dry ingredients in the mixing bowl and make well in the centre. Add in eggs, corn oil and orange juice.  Using a paddle hook, beat ingredients until creamy and well combined.   Set aside. 
  2. Pour 1 and 1/2 cups water into baking tray, place baking rack on the tray and  preheat oven at 160 degrees C for 10 minutes.
Ingredients for Egg White Mixture
5 egg whites
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
70 gm castor sugar
  1. Using an electric mixer, whisk egg white until frothy, add in cream of tartar and whisk until  slightly foamy.  Add in sugar in 3 batches.  Whisk until soft to stiff peaks formed.
  2. Using a spatula, fold in 1/2 of the meringue into egg yolk mixture.  Lift and fold until well combined, then add to rest of meringue.  Fold again until well mix.
  3. Pour the batter into a 9" square tin [line base with baking paper at the bottom only].    Lightly shake the pan and the batter will spread out evenly. 
  4. Steam bake in oven at 160 degrees C for 40 minutes.   Reduce temperature to 140 degrees C and bake for a further 20 minutes.  [Note: for the water bath, use 1 and 1/2 cups water for the duration of baking.  This way the cake base will be dry after baking].
  5. Remove from oven and invert the cake to cool slightly [about 5 minutes] before removing the pan and baking paper [there maybe some vapour on the baking paper].
  6. Cool cake completely before slicing to serve or refrigerate for slicing and serving later.
Notes: Visit this site for it's Nutritional Facts [here]

10 comments:

kitchen flavours said...

Hi Kimmy,
Lovely cake, soft and cottony! I have yet to try baking Ogura cake!

Anonymous said...

halo kimmy,,
i love visiting your food blog,
and notice you always comes out with very goodies home cooked n bakes,may i know for this recipes
what is the size of egg u r using,,
and can i used plain flour ,,
hope u can share--thanks
june--singapore

Kimmy said...

Hi Joyce, these days, I just love baking Ogura cakes. If you check out on the nutritional facts, this should be considered a healthy cake.

Kimmy said...

Hi June, thanks for visiting my humble blog. I didn't really weigh the eggs but I always use 'AA' size eggs and 1 'C' size egg. Yes you can use plain flour.

Veronica said...

I noticed that you are an Ogura cake expert Kimmy! Your cake looks so soft and cottony. By the way you didn't sit your pan into water when you baked, right?

PH said...

Kimmy, another yummy Ogura cake! I really won't get tired if this light and soft cake. Must try this orange flavour.

Kimmy said...

Hi Veronica, I see many food bloggers can bake better than me but I really like baking it cos' it's really light, soft and spongy. Nope, I pour water into the baking tray, top with a baking rack and place the baking pan over it. This way, it's much simpler and doesn't affect the outcome of the cake.

Kimmy said...

Hi Phong Hong, this is good flavour. I like it too and tried it with another combination which turned out well. Stay tune......

Anonymous said...

Hi Kimmy, I love your blog. Thank you for sharing all your wonderful and reliable recipes.
I just baked this cake this morning.
It went up so tall and cracked very badly after the first 15min and then after I switched to 140 degrees c, it inflates and the resulted cake is a very soft and taste good but inflated cake. What could have gone wrong?
Appreciate your advice.
Many thanks.
PP

Kimmy said...

Hi Anonymous, it's quite difficult to explain exactly the reason. It could be a combination of reasons like your oven temperature, size of pan etc but the cracks wouldn't be obvious after cooling. The cake will shrink a little. Most important it must be cooked. You may have to try baking this cottony cakes several times to find out the reason. The other day I baked this cottony cake with 170C for 40 minutes and 140C for 20 minutes. The cake rose beautifully but the inside was soggy - I'm puzzled and didn't know the reason. Must try again, perhaps I added a little too much liquid.