Followers

Friday, August 2, 2013

ALMOND COCONUT COTTONY CAKE [OGURA CAKE]

There was a packet of dessicated coconut left in my pantry for months which has to be cleared.   So I used it  for this cottony cake which is soft  and moist.  The almond flavour is not very intense with the first bite but the dessicated coconut is more noticeable.  Overall, it is yummy cottony cake with a bite.
Ingredients for Egg Yolk Mixture
[use  or 9" square tin]
75 gm superfine flour - sifted
1/4 tsp salt
5 egg yolks
1 whole egg
50-60 ml corn oil
80 ml almond milk [dissolve 3 tbsp almond powder with 80 ml hot water/milk] - cooled
2 tbsp dessicated coconut [have some extra to sprinkle on top of cake]
  1. Whisk eggs in a mixing bowl until creamy.  Drizzle in corn oil followed by almond liquid.  Continue beating until well combined.  Add in the flour and salt.  Using a paddle hook, fold until batter is smooth.   Then fold in the dessicated coconut.  Set aside. 
  2. Pour 1 and 1/2 cups water into baking tray, place baking rack on the tray and  preheat oven at 160 degrees C for 10 minutes.
Ingredients for Egg White Mixture
5 egg whites
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
70-80 gm castor sugar [I used 65 gm cos' almond liquid is sweet] 
  1. Using an electric mixer, whisk egg white until frothy, add in cream of tartar and whisk until  slightly foamy.  Add in sugar in 3 batches.  Whisk until soft to stiff peaks formed.
  2. Using a spatula, fold in 1/2 of the meringue into egg yolk mixture.  Lift and fold until well combined, then add to rest of meringue.  Fold again until well mix.
  3. Pour batter into a 9" square tin [line base with baking paper at the bottom only]. 
  4. Shake the pan lightly and the batter will spread out evenly.  Sprinkle some extra dessicated coconut evenly over batter.
  5. Steam bake on the lower rack in oven at 160 degrees C for 10 minutes, then lower heat to 150 degrees C and bake for a further 55-60 minutes.  [Note: for the water bath, use 1 and 1/2 cups water for the duration of baking.  This way the cake base will not be soggy after baking].
  6. Invert the cake after baking on a wire rack and let it cool slightly [about 5 minutes] before removing the pan and baking paper [there maybe some vapour on the baking paper].
  7. Cool cake completely before slicing to serve or chill in the refrigerator before slicing to be serves later.
I'm linking this post to 

20 comments:

kitchen flavours said...

Hi Kimmy,
That is one lovely cake! Looks so soft and spongy! And I can almost smell the aroma from the coconuts! :)

PH said...

Kimmy, wah this cake must be very fragrant with the dessicated coconut! Look very nice, I am itching to bake cottony cakes again :)

Kimmy said...

Hi Joyce, I was quite worried about the result of this cake cos' it is the first time I tried this combination. Thank God, it 's good - soft and spongy with a bite.

Kimmy said...

Hi Contest, thanks for dropping by my humble blog and your encouraging comment.

Kimmy said...

Hi Phong Hong, just one more option for you to try, hehehe!

Kit @ i-lostinausten said...

Hi Kimmy, I'm always amazed by all your lovely cottony bakes. They turned so lovely & soft with fluffy texture! I love the como of this cake! YUM!

Veronica said...

Kimmy I see you are an expert in baking soft and cottony cakes. Well done!

lena said...

hi, tho i seldom bake with dessicated coconut, i do like them for the cakes that i've tried. You know, i dont really takemond milk, it has a kind of taste which i'm not too fond of but my recent trip to hkg i drank so much of that, i dont know why ..it is just so nice..

Kimmy said...

Hi Kit, I think practice makes perfect. I'm still experimenting...Hopefully the future ones will turn out good.

Kimmy said...

Hi Veronica, no not expert. Hoping for the best whenever I bake the cake.. thank God, so far okay -lah.

Kimmy said...

Hi Lena, almond drink or sweet dessert with crullers are my favourite. I have my oats with almond powder for light breakfast almost every morning. Hope you enjoyed your HK trip and the food. Cantonese cuisine is very tasty and good.

QembarDelites said...

Another successful cotton cake from you...you are really an expert in making these cakes!

Kimmy said...

Hi Jeannie, my niece told me it is nice cake because of the dessicated coconut but I actually love the almond flavour.

Zoe said...

Another beautiful xiangsi cake by Kimmy Xiangsi Queen Baker!!

Three cheers for your forever good Xiangsi cake baking :D

Kimmy said...

Hi Zoe, so shy to receive this title. I'm glad that readers and my dear blogger friends appreciate this kind of cakes. I'm one who loves experimenting different flavours. I believe this world is good with a wide range lovely food for us and all should learn to appreciate without wasting them.

Baby Sumo said...

Your cake looks so soft and moist. Must be nice with the addition of the fragrant coconut.

Kimmy said...

Hi Baby Sumo, I'm quite satisfied with this cake.

Wings Wings said...

Hi Kimmy, I saw most of your cottony cakes were baked in 8" or 9" pan. May I know how tall typically is your cake? Mine always deflates so bad which only left me with about 3-3.5cm (8" pan). Your cakes seem taller than that. Because I want a taller cake, I bake it in an 7" pan later on, but it gives me only 4-4.5cm. Not that tall due to deflation. Is it normal? Also, mine looks more like a sponge cake rather than cottony cake =( Do you know why? Thanks for helping?

Kimmy said...

Hi Cherish, the cake should be soft, light and fluffy on the moist side. Shouldn't be light sponge which has a tougher texture. My cake is about 4-4.5cm for 8"/9" pan. I have tried baking in 7" pan and I could get a height of about 5-6 cm. I suggest you use AA size eggs. Could it be due to over-mixing of the batter which could deflate it. Do check the oven temperature you use to bake the cakes. There are many choices.

Wings Wings said...

Ok, I will definitely try. Thanks, Kimmy, for your respond! =)