Followers

Tuesday, October 23, 2012

EZ Soft Steamed Pau

This recipe was adapted from Angel's  Easy and Soft Steamed Pau [original recipe from Cook.Bake.Love] for the pau dough.  I used a different filling.  The paus are really soft and QQ like traditional steamed paus.   I believe the dough can be used for any fillings.   I'll definitely make it again cos' my hubby says the pau skin is much better than store bought [he just had a steamed meat pau from a popular outlet which wasn't up to his expectation].

What I couldn't understand is my paus weren't whitish like those store bought ones.  Is it because I used the unbleached all purpose flour or because of the baking powder?  Perhaps, I should try using cake flour or even Hong Kong Flour to see the difference.  
The dough is soft and not sticky.  Easy to handle and dough weighs about 350 gm.
Ingredients
[makes 8 paus]
180 gm cake flour [I used all purpose flour]
20 gm constarch [2 tbsp]
30 gm sugar [I used 2 tbsp]
5 gm double action baking powder [I used 1 tsp]
4 gm yeast [I used 1 1/4 tsp]
100 ml warm water
18 ml corn oil [I used 1/2 tbsp shortening]
  1.  Mix all ingredients together [except shortening/oil].  Knead until soft dough, then add in shortening.
  2. Continue to knead until smooth and pliable dough.  Shape into a ball and cover to prove for 50 minutes or until double in size.  [I kept dough in a plastic bag, tied up and refrigerate until required (next day), thaw to room temperature before shaping].
  3. Punch down dough.  Divide into 8 portions [about 44 gm each].  Shape into round balls and rest for 5 minutes.
  4. Roll each ball to flatten into a circle and wrap filling [any filling about 30 gm].  Pleat into pau shape, place on greasedproof paper.  Rest for 15 minutes or until double in size.
  5. Steam over high heat for 15 minutes.  Off fire and leave for 3 minutes before uncovering steamer [this is to prevent the pau skin from wrinkles].

Notes:
- this steamed pau dough is suitable for both sweet and savoury fillings.  Please refer to fillings label for selection.

4 comments:

Esther@thefussfreechef said...

good timing, i was just thinking of making char siew paus coz my son loves it. Had been looking on and off for an easy steam pau recipe, might try yours, thanks kimmy.

Kimmy said...

Hi Esther, give it a try and use any fillings you like. I think pau flour will give you a whiter pau.

PH said...

Kimmy, my next challege - make pau. Hah! hah!

Kimmy said...

Hi Phong Hong, think carefully before you make your own, cos' from then you may not buy anymore paus.... hahaha like ME.