Followers

Friday, May 11, 2012

EZ Fragrant Sauce Pork Belly


The original recipe [which I copied years ago] uses pork ribs that has to be deep fried and and then braised.  I followed the recipe 100% when I was not that 'health conscious', but now, I prefer not to deep fry meat before cooking with sauce.  When I need to deep fry, I will do it in batches so that not much oil is needed.  Of course, it will be time consuming and put you off from cooking the dish.
Anyway, instead of deep frying pork ribs, I used pork belly and  pan fry method before braising in fragrant sauce.  This way, I can keep my kitchen clean too.  The end result of the makeover- yummy, delicious that goes well with steaming hot white rice
Ingredients 
500 gm pork belly - washed and cut into bite size pieces - marinade with 1 piece fermented red beancurd [nam yee] and 1 tbsp Shaoxing wine for at least 1/2 hour [overnight in the fridge is alright]

Braising Sauce Ingredients - Combine together
1 1/2 tbsp sugar [can reduce a little]
1/2 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp msg
1 tsp light soy sauce
1 tsp dark soy sauce
1 tbsp oyster sauce
2 tbsp tomato sauce
1 tsp Shaoxing wine
250 ml water [enough to cover meat]
  1. Heat up wok with a little oil [optional].  Spread out pork belly pieces in wok to pan fry till slightly brown.    Turn over once to pan fry the other side.
  2. Pour in combined sauce ingredients.  Stir fry to combine meat and sauce ingredients well for a minutes.  Then add in enough water to cook meat.
  3. Bring it to a rolling boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 40-45 minutes or until meat is just tender and gravy is slightly thick.

Note:
I set aside half portion to use for steaming rice for my One Dish Meal.  I just need to prepare a salad or simple vegetable stir fry or soup to go with it.

I'm submitting this to Red Meats Feast hosted by MySpicyKitchen


4 comments:

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

I need more rice to go with this , sound so yummy!

Kimmy said...

It's tasty. My hubby says so. I kept some to steam together with rice for a One dish meal when I am lazy to cook, haha! Maybe add a vegetable salad or simple stir fry or vege soup. Should be nice as the gravy is thick and flavourful.

Usha said...

I never cooked pork belly at home but always order it at Korean bbq place.

Even I prefer pan frying to deep frying. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

I tried leaving a comment on steamed meat & fish slices recipe and do not know if I was able to post. I had to enter the word verification 2-3 times and finally gave up.

Kimmy said...

Hi Usha, I like to pan fry and discard excess oil, so that the dish less oily and much 'healthier', haha.